Use a disk imaging program like “Win32DiskImager” to write the image file to a Micro-SD card (at least 16 GB size).
Copy the folder “rpi2jamma” to a USB stick, including the “rpi2jamma” directory itself (optional).
***** PI2JAMMA / PI2SCART INSTRUCTIONS *****
A USB stick containing ROMs and basic configuration settings is optional. All files required are stored in the “rpi2jamma” directory. The most important subdirectory is “roms_advmame” – place your game ROMs there and you are good to go.
***** QUICK START *****
- Select item: Player1-Button1 (“Left-CTRL”)
- Go back: Player1-Button2 (“Left-ALT”)
- Insert coin: Player1-Start & Joystick up (“1” & “Up-Arrow”)
- Pause game: Player1-Start & Joystick down (“1” & “Down-Arrow”)
- Quit a game: Player1-Start & Player1-Button1 (“1” & “Left-CTRL”)
CONFIGURATION / HIDDEN FEATURES
Select the “Options” menu. Advanced configuration settings are available.
If advanced settings are not visible, click into any of the empty lines between “Back” and “About” three times (slowly) within 10 seconds to activate the menu. Hide the settings menu again to keep your system childproof.
Settings are stored in “config.ini” on the USB stick.
– The game menu will display titles found here.
– Edit the game definition file “_games.template” to alter display names.
– Deleted game roms are stored here.
– Preview snapshots (PNG) to be displayed in game selection menu are placed here.
– Preview videos (MP4) to be displayed in game selection menu are placed here.
– Select “Backup Settings” from the “Options” menu to backup settings and hiscores here.
– Select “Restore Settings” from the “Options” menu to restore settings from here.
– Files to be restored (and maybe edited, e.g. the MAME config file “advmame.rc”) should be placed here.
– MAME audio files not included in the image can be placed here.
– MAME artwork files not included in the image can be placed here.
– Snapshots taken during gameplay are saved here.
EXTENDED GAME MENU (“Fav. Games”, “More Games” and “All Games”):
There are options to display up to three filtered game menus: “Fav. Games”, More Games” and “All Games”. Select the desired option from the advanced configuration menu. Display names of those menus can be edited in “config.ini”.
To add games e.g. to the “Fav. Games” list, click on “Select Fav. Games”. The screen turns green. Go back to the games list as if you would want to start a game. Any game selected now will be added to the “Fav. Games” list.
“Deselect Fav. Games”, “Select Autostart Game” and “Delete Game from USB” work in the same way.
Changes are applied immediately, which might take some time depending on the the size of the game list. Select “Quick Edit Mode” from the advanced configuration menu to mark selected games, changes are then applied when leaving edit mode.
Alternatively, pushing Player2-Start from the games menu adds the game to the Fav. Games list.
AUTOSTART A GAME:
The system can boot right into a game.
Select it from the advanced configuration menu (“Select Autostart Game”).
You can boot directly into a screensaver.
Select the option from the advanced configuration menu (“Autostart Screensaver”).
The screensaver activates itself after an idle time of 10 minutes (default, can be edited in “config.ini”) only when the menu is shown, NOT during a game. Activate “Idle Exit” in the MAME section of the
configuration menu to automatically exit after the same idle time.
Screen orientation can be set to horizontal, vertical or automatic. Automatic is useful for rotatable monitors.
Quick switch of screen orientation is possible by pressing Player2-Start if “favbutton=2” is set in config.ini.
Use Joystick to select your games.
Scroll through games list pagewise: Joystick left/right
Scroll through pages alphabetically: Player1-Start + Joystick left/right
Select game or menu item: Press Player1-Button1 (Fire).
Go back: Press Player1-Button2.
MAME CONTROLS (configurable, see instructions at the end of this document):
*** Insert coin: Player1-Start & Joystick up ***
*** Pause game: Player1-Start & Joystick down ***
*** Quit a game / Back to menu: Player1-Start & Player1-Button1 ***
Advance Mame 3.9
Romset version 0.106
Put ROMs inside “roms_advmame” folder on USB stick.
Put snapshots (preview images) inside “snaps” folder on USB stick.
Put preview videos inside “videos” folder on USB stick.
A USB keyboard may be attached to configure Advance Mame general and/or individual game settings
Start any game. No need to play, the title screen is sufficient.
Press the TAB key to access Advance Mame options.
|Player1 Button1 (Fire):||Left-CTRL|
CHANGE BUTTONS OR KEYBOARD SETTINGS:
E.g. change the action to quit a game. This a MAME setting, so we need to access the MAME settings menu.
- Attach a USB keyboard.
- Start any game. No need to play, the title screen is sufficient.
- Press the TAB key.
- Navigate to “Input (general)” – press ENTER.
- Select “User Interface” – press ENTER.
- Navigate down to “UI cancel”.
- Press ENTER – the definitions are cleared.
- Press whichever buttons are desired.
- Do NOT press ENTER again!
- Wait until the key is registered. As soon as it is registered, if you do press ENTER before navigating away, you can select an optional additional control.
- Navigate away and all the way down to go back to the game through the various settings screens.
You can as well backup MAME settings from the “Options” menu, edit the advmame.rc config file, put it in the USB stick’s “restore” folder and restore it via the menu.
HAVE FUN GAMING!
***** HOW TO CONNECT TO A WI-FI NETWORK *****
1) System Settings Menu > Online Tools > Wi-Fi Setup
2) Select your network.
3) Assign an internal name for the network, eg. “pinhp”.
4) Enter the network key.
5) Done! The system should be connected within a couple of seconds. The network profile is automatically saved, you don‘t need to enter credentials again next time. If you cannot connect because network settings have changed, go to „Remove Wi-Fi Profiles“ and start over again.
6) Check your IP: System Settings Menu > Online Tools > Check IP
7) To automatically connect after each reboot, exit into the shell
8) Type “netctl enable pinhp” (where pinhp stands for the name you assigned in step 3).
10) To disable auto connect, type “netctl disable pinhp”.
Warning: If you auto connect according to step 8, do not run a game during the first 10-20 seconds after boot. You will be kicked out of the game when the system silently connects to the network.
***** HOW TO SSH INTO THE SYSTEM *****
(If you have trouble transferring data with e. g. SCP software, connect as user: root / password: root)
Example Windows 10:
1) From the Windows menu, type “cmd” to open the command shell.
2) Type “ssh firstname.lastname@example.org” (with the IP number found in step 6 above).
3) Password is “root”.
4) If you see the command prompt [pinhp@pinhp ~]$ you are connected!
5) Do whatever you want in the Linux system, e.g. run Midnight Commander: Type “mc”.
***** ADVANCED INSTRUCTIONS *****
The screen is not centred? How to Adjust modelines in advmame.rc.